Get 15% off this month when you book three or more nights!
In 1875, Guy Risien built a rock and brush dam across Mill Creek to operate a hydraulic dam that he used to water his own garden and provide water to a few neighbors. Today, Mill Pond Park is a lovely park with a spring-fed lake. A waterfall cascades over rocks landscaped with ferns, moss, canna and caladium. The waters then flow under a bridge and wind throughout the park. Seven-million gallons of water pump through the lake daily.
San Saba River Nature Park, a serene getaway that features the city’s first waterworks, a birding blind, and a beautiful greenbelt perfect for walking, biking, and fishing.
Edmond E. Risien, an amateur horticulturist, settled in San Saba in 1875. He donated the land in which Risien Park is located. The park is located along the banks of the San Saba River, offers facilities for both picnicking and camping.
This area's first Colorado River bridge was at Regency, on Mills-San Saba County line. Built1903, it served ranchers and farmers for going to market, but fell in 1924, killing a boy, a horse, and some cattle. Its successor was demolished by a 1936 flood. With 90 per cent of the work done by hand labor, the Regency Suspension Bridge was erected in 1939. It became the pride of the locality, and youths gathered there in the 1940s to picnic, dance, and sing. The suspender cables look like strings of a giant instrument stretched taut from the wooden deck to the main cable that gracefully drapes from one bank to the other.
The Beveridge Bridge proudly bears its makers plaque atop the crossbeam:"Built by the Flinn, Moyer Bridge Co., Weatherford Tex 1896". Crossing the San Saba River just north of the city of San Saba, this single lane, parallel wire suspension bridge is 140' long with a wood deck supported by three-pole pylons, iron pipes, rods and castings. Although it had been rebuilt at least three times over the last century, it was closed to vehicle traffic in 2004 and a new concrete bridge was built beside it.
"The Wedding Oak is a legendary Indian site that was popular into the 1900s. This tree sheltered many marriage services. On December24, 1911, three marriages took place here. the legend is that before the settlers arrived, that Indians stood under the tree to be wed and that the tradition was adopted by the settlers.
The church celebrated it's 150th year of service to the area in 2006. Organized in 1856 in an area so wild that the Church gave a missionary a $50.00 revolver and a $125.00 horse. Today the church enjoys the distinction of being the only all marble Methodist Church in the United States. The present structure was constructed between 1914 and 1917. The church is also listed as an official United Methodist Historic Site (No. 193) as well as being a Texas Historical Site. The Church is known for its beautiful stained glass, magnificent architecture and welcoming members.
In 1935 it became the home football stadium for the San Saba Armadillos. Yes, it once was a cemetery. And, yes, not all the graves were removed before it was converted into a football stadium. The graveyard-turned-football-stadium received national attention in 1990 with an article in Sports Illustrated. Fox Sports Net did a television piece in 2004. It is often referred to as the "Graveyard" The legend of The Graveyard isn't posted for everyone to see. Its not bragged about openly by most locals unless someone else asks first. But all it takes is one unusual happening during a high school football game at Rogan Field, and San Saba fans are cutting their eyes at one another and thinking the same thing.
In the early 1870’s, Elijah Estep built this two-story building facing the courthouse out of locally quarried, rough-cut hard limestone. Each floor is a single 20 x 16 foot room with hewn beam ceiling joists and pine floor planking.
The courthouse in San Saba is one of the few courthouses in Texas with a statement ("From the people to the people") carved over it's entrances. The architect of this courthouse, Walter Chamberlain designed this courthouse in the style known as Texas Renaissance.
County's oldest existing public
building. Erected in 1884, the structure cost $13,000 and lot $300. Jail was
built of blue limestone in Italianate Texas style. A 12-foot-high board fence
(built after an 1886 jail break) has been replaced. Jailer lived on first
floor. Said to be the oldest continuous operation jail in the United States.
The San Saba Historical County Museum, located in the heart of Mill Pond Park, is open to the public, Saturdays and Sundays, from 1:30 p.m. until 4:00 p.m., April thru October. The newly renovated facility houses exhibits contributed by local residents with docents eager to recount the personal stories behind the donated artifacts.